Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Super Tiny Grey Soil Bugs

There is a particular patch of my garden where the soil seems infested with extremely tiny grey bugs.  They're very hard to see, given their size and color.  In fact, I noticed them sort of by accident when I disturbed some soil with my hand and saw movement.  I had to get down at ground level to really see them.

I took some video, but honestly, unless you maximize to full screen, you can't really even see them.  If you could see them, what's useful about this video is that a roly poly bug ambles through and you can compare the size - the roly poly bug looks like a volkwagen compared to the grey soil bugs.




Some other characteristics of these bugs:
- They are fast and if disturbed will hop like fleas
- I have never seen them on any plants, only in the soil
- They do not appear on the surface of the soil.  It's only when I dig down a little that I see them.
- Their bodies appear pear-shaped.
- I can't tell how many legs they have

I haven't seen them before and haven't observed them elsewhere in my garden this year.  I have a theory that they might be springtails, but I am not sure. 

I wonder if they could have been part of the problem with my radishes, because where I'm seeing them is my former radish patch (which was also overrun by ants). 

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment