Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sticky Webbing on Zinnias & Fennel

Amy:

I love zinnias.  Pacific Northwesterners don't seem to grow them much, but to me they are the epitome of summer.  Little globes in crayola colors.  Besides, they remind me of Val's garden, which is pretty much the flower garden of my dreams.  I planted mine in the front yard, so I see them every morning when I leave for work. 

Even though zinnias are annuals, I want to make them last as long as possible.  So I've kept a close watch on them.  I noticed some very fine webbing on the flower petals: 


In one case, there was even a dew-like substance clinging to the webbing:

There is also some leaf damage: 

 
In the back yard, quite a long way away from my zinnias and on the opposite side of the house, I may have the same problem on my fennel.  Serious dewey webbing:


That thing in the middle of this photo was a dead moth, I think. 

I know that I have aphids on the fennel, but I don't think aphids make webs like this.  So I'm guessing it's something in addition.  I looked for the actual insect but either it's too small to see or it hides during the day when the sun is out.  

What do you think?

Rachel



No comments:

Post a Comment